Wednesday, March 20, 2013

My Aunt

This is my aunt Annette. Here she is reading to me when I was just a youngster.




Here she is with PlusOne when we went to Orlando almost nine years ago.



My aunt is dying. As I write this, she has maybe a day or two more to live. She was a wonderful aunt who was always there for me. She got her PhD in Education in 1966. She taught grade school and in the SUNY Plattsburgh college system. She believed strongly in reading to children and she always sent us special books for our birthday and Christmas. She continued that tradition with my son.

She used to talk about me so much everyone thought I was her illegitimate child. A few weeks ago she asked for a lap robe from my sister and I. My sister already had a top made so I had to sew up a top so it would be two sided. One side would ALWAYS be near my aunt's heart. Here is my sister's side.

And here is my side. 

My aunt loved owls, but I didn't have any owl fabric, so I told her she got butterflies and flowers and all the colors of love in my heart. I will miss her terribly. We talked every three months and always had such fun conversations. We visited her often before she retired to Orlando and we had a very fun visit when we went. My world is going to be sadder without her.

5 comments:

stellaroselong said...

We are so sorry to read this. I am happy you have wonderful precious memories of you and your aunt...you will keep them in your heart forever.
Hugs a Bunch
Stella rose and Mags

The Slimmer Pugs, Kitties, and Mama said...

Your Aunt Annette is one special lady and will always be. Much sympathy you during this time. Nothing better than the gift of reading and books. Love is the best gift she gave...
Much Love,
Mama Mindy & The Slimmer Pugs

Two French Bulldogs said...

Very cute pictures. Sending you special thoughts today
Benny & Lily

Team Tabby said...

We can see that Aunt Annette is a special person in your life and that you are very close. We enjoyed seeing photos of you and Plus One with her and hearing about her love of books, which she shared.

The wonderful, bright and lovely lap robe you and your sister have made with love will bring her such comfort. Our hearts and prayers go out to you and your family at this sad time.

Mindy
Moe
Cookie
Mike
and mom, Nina

Southern Fried Pugs said...

We are sorry that your aunt and family are suffering. Hold on to your lovely memories of her even through this sad time.
Sending peace and love during this difficult time.