Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tattle Tale Tuesday

Mom here, I'm hijacking the blog. I know it's a long one, but I had to give you the background.

This is my Angel. She deigns to work with me every day. She is awesome.

When I first met my Angel, we were interviewing for the sort of but not really assistant position to me. In other words, to do all the stuff that I used to do 15 years ago when business was slow. The father of the woman who held the position had just been admitted to the hospital and I was left alone for a week and a half doing three jobs. (Lady Number Two went on vacation.) The Store Manager was in my office helping me out for hours. The General Manager took one look at me and decided to do the mail herself. The other employees decided that perhaps it was not a good time to need things. It got better when Lady Number Two came back but then we heard that Lady Number One's dad had brain cancer and she wasn't coming back.

Hence the interviews. Now, I hate interviewing. I am "not hard to get along with" according to my Angel, but I can't stand incompetence or laziness or just plain stupidity. (Sorry, there you have it, my deep dark secret.) I was really worried about finding someone who could do the job and I could just plain get along with. (The lady before Lady Number One was a stupid doofus. It wasn't good.)

The only woman I felt she could do the job made me sick to my stomach. I remembered that same feeling from the interview for the customer service woman 12 years ago (who was hired and has since left), so I wasn't particularly looking forward to hiring her.

Then, the second to last interview, in came my Angel. She was calm, matter of fact, had a brain in her head and a sense of humor. Right before she left she looked at me and said "You're funny."

Well, dang, I felt like the clouds parted and the sun shone straight done on me. I knew she was the one. She got me. She really got me. After she left I went running to my boss who told me she was the only one he liked as well. Life wasn't just good, it was totally freaking AWESOME. My Angel came to work with me. We'll have been working together two years in April and it has always been fun. She is great to work with. And she has this nifty talent that I am now going to share with you.

I know a lot of you have friends who make jewelry, but so does my Angel, and because I like her so much (and I want her to keep working with me and not have to look for another job) I am going to show you some of her jewelry and link you to her Etsy shop. This is not a solicitation for you to buy things, I know money is tight for many of us. I am just trying to give her some exposure that she wouldn't normally get. Her Etsy Shop is Cottage Charms and I invite you all to go take a look at her work. She makes bracelets, necklaces, and earrings. (I am wearing a pair of her red beaded earrings right now. I really love them, the beads are very pretty.)

If you have any request, she does do custom items. So go take a look and remember, no pressure. But if you like anything, and you want to buy it, cool. Thanks for reading this epistle. :)

We are supposed to get more snow Wednesday. Eight to ten inches. You may find me in a white padded room on Thursday.

20 comments:

Karen Jo said...

It is so great to find someone you can really work with. I'll take a look at her stuff. I heard about the nasty weather headed your way. Here's hoping for an early Spring.

Dughallmor Beagles said...

What a lovely post, it's great you have an angel, we loved reading about her! We went for a look at the beautiful jewellery too, just gorgeous, we'll definitely go back when we have a birthday coming up :o) But would she ship to UK?
Hope you don't end up in the padded room! Stay cosy :o)
Slobbers xx

Millie said...

I'll join you in the padded room.

Nevis said...

It is so important to have a wonderful boss and a wonderful employee - that relationship is SOOO important because you end up spending just as much time with those people than your family. You know?

Harry Pugalicious said...

Mom says you should warns her that she's gonna get 8 million requests for puggie bracelets!!!

Oh, and Mom also says it is 60 degrees and sunny - come to Birmingham!

Unknown said...

I will go check her shop out right now! It is one of the best blessings in the world to have people you can be in the same room with for 40 hours a week, isn't it? I mean, really we should only be expected to do that with our spouses and possibly our children, but when you find a co-worker you can co-exist with, it is an amazing thing. I have one here as well. We've been co-existing in a two-woman office for three years now, and it's been great.

castle diva said...

Lovely story and that bracelet is pretty.

Our Mom has done some hiring in the past. It's important to find someone who can not only do the job, but someone you will enjoy working with. After all, you see more of your co-workers than your family.

Ms. P and Cinza

The Meezers or Billy said...

your Angel looks like a really furry furry nice lady that we would prolly really like too! we will look at her pretty stuff and see if we can count green papers on mommy's next payday . Because mommy LOVES bracelets.

oh, we's supposed to get around a foot of new snow. YAY.

Gemini and Ichiro said...

Oh it is wonderful to have angels like that around! And she does some lovely work!

Rosie said...

It is nice to have someone you really like to work with since you spend so much time with them - my mommy says it relieves stress (whatever that is) - we are also expecting a little snow (not as much as you but a few inches tonight) BTW, I left you an award back at my blog :)

The WriggleButts said...

So sweet - both the post and the jewellery. You should tell her that with all the new promotion she should concider shipping abroad. LOL!

Ane

Too Cute Pugs said...

Your Angel is lovely and makes beautiful jewelry. Mommy is going over to her Etsy shop to check it out.

We're getting ready for the big snowstorm tomorrow too.

Pug love from,
Pearl & Daisy

Archie and Melissa said...

what a wonderful post!
it is so fun to meet the people in your life. i love angel's art. i have favorited her store!
xo
m & e

The Furry Kids said...

Nice to meet you, Angel! Mama loves your store!

Love,
Tazo

Eduardo said...

Thats great to have a friend to work with. Mommy remembers when she worked she hated everyone she worked with! Mommy is a big lover of handmade jewelry so even though she cann't buy anything right now(for herself) she will bookmark it, Valentine's Day is coming up right?
Hugs & Snugs
Eduardo the Snuggle Puggle

Mickey's Musings said...

It does make a difference who you work closely with!!!!!!!
Judging by her crafting,Angel is talented too!!! I hope she does well :)
Purrs Mickey & Mom

Kelly said...

What a blessing to have a coworker like that! I love her jewelry, too!

I hope she'll stick around and work with you for many more years!

Lux said...

Angel, we love your jewelry!

It's wonderful to work with someone you enjoy being with!

Sandra y Coco Pug said...

What a sweet post. You are a very good friend.

PS. There is an award for you on my blog!

Chrissie said...

Will the padded room have chocolate? How about cozy quilts-get your sister to bring some of hers, too. How about some of that hot, fresh bread with butter? Oh, and coffee. Tim Horton's, preferably. Okay, that's all good, mom says she's comin' over to hang out with you.

And your Angel is such a blessing, eh? Mom thinks her stuff is very beautiful and inspiring. I'm glad you have her.